Monday, June 30, 2008

we sail tonight for singapore




As I'm sure most of you reading this know, I had the distinct & utterly mind-blowing honour of seeing my own personal saviour, Tom Waits, at the Plaza Theatre in El Paso. I'm not going to elaborate on the experience here, as my words are proving far too meager for the task. If you'd really like to know about it, do ask me in person. But I did want to share the set-list:

Lucinda
Way Down in the Hole
Falling Down
Chocolate Jesus
Singapore
Fannin Street
Get Behind the Mule
Trampled Rose
Metropolitan Glide
The Other Side of the World
God's Away on Busines
Hoist That Rag
Lucky Day [TW on reed organ piano]
House Where Nobody Lives [TW on reed organ piano]
Lost in the Harbour [TW on piano reed organ]
Lie to Me
Goin' Out West
Jesus Gonna Be Here

Make it Rain
Dirt in the Ground

And here's a picture of Tom getting the key to the City of El Paso.


He said, "You know, these keys open every lock in the city. If you find me in your living room in my underwear, we have an understanding." (Picture from Anti )

While the show is still hard for me to speak of (and I still can't quite believe it actually happened), know this... it was worth every second of the 18 hours total I drove and worth every damn penny of the ticket price. Now, Mr Cave and your alleged "Bad Seeds," you're next on my hit list...


No comments: