Thursday, June 26, 2008

lizard in my backyard


Today I made friends with this fellow:


... the anolis corolinensis. I was embroiled in reading of the celebrated 19th century medium Daniel Dunglas Home ("...a luminous vapour gathered above the table, and, as they watched, slowly formed itself into a child's hand... the room shook, the crystal pendants of the chandelier clashed together; the Empress's lace handkerchief climbed into space...") when I noticed a flash of pink out of the corner of my eye. At first I thought it was a leaf with a pink-ish underbelly flapping in the breeze... as I watched it formed itself into a small lizard that was extending and retracting a sac beneath its head. The way it moved (positively cat-like), the thoughtful movements of its head, the way its eye followed me struck me as much more sentient, more knowing then other reptiles I have encountered. We had an understanding, dig?


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i had a similar encounter with a roach on my bathroom floor. We regarded eachother for a long while,h its antennae kinda waving at me. Then I stepped on it. I still feel guilt.

Anonymous said...

Holy shitamole he is BEAUTIFUL!

Jen said...

that is some lizard! johnny depp has a strong allure, it is true... everyone at work now knows i have an insane crush on him. so delicious. le sigh.