Tuesday, November 25, 2008

new art: ~sparks~



Here is my latest drawing... I am rather pleased with it. It's done using a red Prismacolor pen (a true god-send to my drawings), a silver paint pen and bits cut out of a silly fashion magazine. I gotta say, that paint pen is an AWFUL lot of fun... and quite useful for penning improptu missives on the walls of bar restrooms. Anyway, this piece is called ~sparks~ and here's why. I've been bat-shit CRAZY over the band Sparks for the past few months and that obsession is only deepening. When I was working on this piece, I tore the piece that lines the bottom from one of the many trendy, glossy magazines about Austin "culture" that seem to be laying about everywhere. I noticed on the left side of the torn portion the word "sparks" showing thru from the other side! It was to glaring of an omen to be ignored, so I traced the word backwards and the drawing was christened.

And just for fun, here is a Sparks video:

5 comments:

Collin said...

that video is sooooo goddamn good! Ahhhh! Was it Kimono My House that you like the most?

Jen said...

steph, the drawing is amazing. absolutely stunning. i love it.

madam stephaña said...

Collin, Kimono My House was definitely the original culprit. It has joined the lofty ranks of Here Come The Warm Jets as my one of favourite records ever. My neighbor John just gave me the first Sparks album as well... and sweet Jesus, is it good. I am severely addicted.

And Jen, so glad you like the drawing! It was an awful lot of fun to do.

Jen said...

haha come over for dinner whenever you like. we love feeding people! ;) our door is always open!

Collin said...

cool, I am going to hunt down some sparks